Lab 6: Creating and using AMIs

The AMI’s used in this lab are created from pre-existing instances.

In EC2, the web server instance is made into an an image by right-clicking on the instance and choosing ‘Image->Create Image’.
001 Create image in Web Server Instance
For this image, the name is: DinoStoreWebServer, and the image description is: ‘Image of DinoStore website vm.’002 Image Format

The queue server is also made into an image, with it’s name being: DinoQueueServer, and it’s image description: ‘Image of DinoStore queue server vm.’

003 AMI Interface

The AMIs are conatined within the EC2 service.

Once created, the web server image is launched with the following specifications:

Type= t2.micro
(The subnet could be in different availability zone to spread instances around the region. This is potentially a good practice if the finances are available for it, however, in my case there is no need to change the region.)
IAM Role: WebServerRole
Tag (Name): LabSix-WS
Security Group: WebRDPGroup
Key Pair: Existing key pair

004 WS-AMI instance Review 1_2005 WS-AMI Instance Review 2_2

While waiting for the image to initialize, the original web server is opened in the local browser, taking note of the IP address.
WebRDP DNS in Browser

Once ready, the public DNS of the image is copied into a new tab in the browser, with the website name attached to the end of the URL. The IP address of this is also noted.
LabSix WS DNS in Browser

They have different IP addresses.

My only challenge with this lab was that I didn’t fully realize my website name. This meant that I was putting in /Net702.DinoStore/ and receiving this error:
007 Server Error On Local Browser

Or trying /1-Net702.DinoStore/ at the end of the DNS and receiving this message in my browser window:
008 WebRDP Server w LabSix DNS in Browser

Eventually I realized that as I was only using an image, I would be able to locate my website details from the original web server instance. When opening the RDP and connecting to DinoStore through IIS, I was able to determine that my website name was /1-Net702.DinoStore/Net702.DinoStore/ due to the folder within the folder when I had copied my DinoStore folder into the wwwroot file.