Having been working on the DinoStore lab project for a little over a week now, it is time for me to check how I am progressing with my S3 budget.
As it turns out, the Mulit-AZ deployment option for the RDS created is quite expensive to run for long periods of time. As I am still new to using any cloud service at this point in time, so when I created the RDS instance, I was unsure of how to close it without losing all my data. As such, I left it running overnight, which cost me for my lack of knowledge and lack of sensibility to research how to efficiently use an RDS instance.
After realizing my mistake, I figured out what a snapshot was, and how to use it in saving RDS based expenses. The use of the snapshot caused further problems for me, which will be elaborated in DinoStore: Lab 2 blog, and resulted in quite a few more hours of running the costing RDS instance with no progress to show for it.
In order to save short-term future costs, I have created a new RDS that runs on the free tier available for AWS. This will save me credits as I learn how to better use the RDS instance so that if I find myself needing to use the Multi-AZ one later in the project, I should have the experience to be able to set it up without causing unnecessary cost to myself.
I have also set up a new budget that focuses solely on any credit expenditure for RDS. This is because I spent at least 200% of the S3 budget, and that expense was only from the RDS service.